From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Ex Sea Dragon 22
Mains level : Maritime cooperations for Indo-Pacific
India is among the six Indo-Pacific nations participating in Exercise Sea Dragon 22.
Sea Dragon 22
- It is a multi-lateral anti-submarine warfare exercise in the Pacific Ocean hosted by the US.
- The exercise includes the navies of India, Australia, Canada, Japan, the US and South Korea.
- India, Japan, Australia and America are also part of the Quad, and also participate in the Malabar exercise.
- It includes in-flight training, ranging from tracking simulated targets to the final problem of tracking a live US Navy submarine.
Significance of the exercise
- The exercise is significant as almost all of the participating countries have strained relations with China.
- China is expanding its prowess in the Indo-Pacific under its Look West Policy.
Also, take time to read about all major exercises: