From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Precision Iodine Value Analyzer
Mains level : Not Much
The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-Central Scientific Instruments Organization (CSIR-CSIO) has developed and transferred the technology of Precision Iodine Value Analyzer (PIVA).
What is Precision Iodine Value Analyzer?
- It is an instrument for the measurement of the degree of unsaturation (iodine value) in vegetable oils.
- This indigenous food testing equipment was recognized by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) on World Food Safety Day on June 7, 2021.
- It has applications in oil extraction units, quality control and assurance labs, food regulatory authorities, soaps and cosmetics, bakeries, meat industry, paint industry, biodiesel analysis, and charcoal industry.
- It is also useful in determining adulteration in edible oils and fats.
Measuring iodine value
- Iodine value is conventionally determined using manual titration and a few analytical instruments based on automated titration.
- However, these methods take a longer time to analyze, are costly, and use toxic chemicals.
- Researchers at CSIR-CSIO developed a rapid analysis technique that takes just three minutes to carry out the same analysis.
- Currently, PIVA has been calibrated and tested for coconut, sunflower, mustard, palm, rice bran, soybean, groundnut, olive oil, and ghee.
- This new development is a part of the ongoing effort to strengthen the food testing capabilities by introducing quick and advanced food testing kits.