From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : MGNREGA, Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan
Mains level : Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan
PM Modi has launched the Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan, an employment scheme for migrant workers.
Practice question for mains:
Q. Discuss the silent success of MGNREGA in COVID-19 times.
Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan
- It is a skill-based employment scheme aimed primarily at migrant workers who have returned to their villages to escape the COVID lockdown distress.
- With a 125-workday mandate to create public infrastructure, with the involvement of 11 central departments, the Rs 50,000-crore initiative will focus on job creation.
- It will be implemented in 116 districts in six states — UP, MP, Jharkhand, Odisha, Rajasthan and Bihar — that saw the maximum number of migrant workers returning over the last three months.
Works under the scheme
- The government has identified 25 work areas for employment in villages, for the development of various works.
- These 25 works or projects are related to meet the needs of the villages like rural housing for the poor, Plantations, provision of drinking water through Jal Jeevan mission, Panchayat Bhavans, community toilets, rural mandis, rural roads, other infrastructure like Cattle Sheds, Anganwadi Bhavans etc.