From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : FTTH, Ghar tak fibre
Mains level : Internet connectivity, Digital divide
The government’s ambitious ‘Ghar Tak Fibre’ scheme — which aims to connect all the villages with high-speed internet — is off to a slow start in poll-bound Bihar.
Note the features of FTTH connections. They make a perfect case for a statement based prelims question. Also, try this PYQ:
Q.Consider the following statements regarding optical fibres:
- A layer called the cladding, which has a refractive index more than that of the core, surrounds the core of the optical fibre.
- Light is propagated in an optical fibre by refraction and internal reflection.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
Ghar Tak Fibre scheme
- The Scheme will be implemented by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- It aims to connect all 45,945 villages of Bihar with high-speed optical fibre internet by 31st March 2021.
- Under the scheme, Bihar has to provide at least five fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) connections per village and at least one WiFi hotspot per village.
What is FTTH?
- Fiber to the home (FTTH), also called fibre to the premises (FTTP), is the installation and use of optical fibre from a central point directly to individual buildings such as residences, apartment buildings and businesses to provide high-speed internet access.
- FTTH dramatically increases connection speeds available to computer users compared with technologies now used in most places.
- FTTH promises connection speeds of up to 100 megabits per second (Mbps).