From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Godhan Nyay Yojana
Mains level : Animal husbandary sector of India
Chhattisgarh is set to launch ‘Godhan Nyay Yojana’. The scheme aims to put money in the pockets of people living in rural areas and also solve the problem of stray cattle.
Try this question from CSP 2019:
Consider the following statements
- Agricultural soils release nitrogen oxides into the environment.
- Cattle release ammonia into the environment.
- Poultry industry releases reactive nitrogen compounds into the environment.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 2 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Godhan Nyay Yojana
- Under the scheme, the Chhattisgarh government will purchase cow dung at the rate of Rs 2 per kg.
- This scheme will turn cow dung into a profitable commodity.
- The scheme also aims to make cow rearing economically profitable and to prevent open grazing in the state, as well as help with the problem of stray animals on roads and in urban areas.
How will the scheme help the rural economy?
- The scheme will generate additional income and increase employment opportunities.
- The government will procure cow dung and prepare vermicompost in order to move towards organic farming.
- There is a huge market for organic farming. Vermicompost will be sold by cooperative societies.
- Distribution of vermicompost fertilizer to farmers will be done as a commodity loan by cooperative societies, banks.
Preventing strays in urban areas
- In urban areas, the scheme will prevent movement of stray animals on roads and highways, and also improve urban sanitation with proper disposal of waste produced by cattle.
- Cattle will be tagged with the owner’s name, address, mobile number to the neck of each animal after the survey to ensure accountability of cattle owners if their cattle are found in the open.