From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : GPT-4
Mains level : Not Much
Central idea: OpenAI announced GPT-4 as the next big update to the technology that powers ChatGPT and Microsoft Bing.
What is GPT-4?
- GPT-4 is a large multimodal model created by OpenAI that accepts images as input, making it a more advanced version of GPT-3 and GPT-3.5.
- It exhibits human-level performance on various professional and academic benchmarks, and it can solve difficult problems with greater accuracy.
How is GPT-4 different from GPT-3?
- GPT-4 is multimodal, allowing it to understand more than one modality of information, unlike GPT-3 and GPT-3.5, which were limited to textual input and output.
- It is harder to trick than previous models, and it can process a lot more information at a time, making it more suitable for lengthy conversations and generating long-form content.
- It has improved accuracy and is better at understanding languages that are not English.
- GPT-4 can use images to generate captions and analyses, and it can answer tax-related questions, schedule meetings, and learn a user’s creative writing style.
- It can handle over 25,000 words of text, opening up a greater number of use cases that include long-form content creation, document search and analysis, and extended conversations.
- It significantly reduces hallucinations and produces fewer undesirable outputs, such as hate speech and misinformation.
Multilingual abilities of GPT-4
- GPT-4 is more multilingual and can accurately answer thousands of multiple-choice questions across 26 languages.
- It handles English best, with an 85.5% accuracy, but Indian languages like Telugu aren’t too far behind either, at 71.4%.
Availability of GPT-4
- GPT-4 has already been integrated into products like Duolingo, Stripe, and Khan Academy for varying purposes.
- Image inputs are still a research preview and are not publicly available.
Are you an IAS Worthy Aspirant? Get a reality check with the All India Smash UPSC Scholarship Test
Get upto 100% Scholarship | 900 Registration till now | Only 100 Slots Left