From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Not much
Mains level : Paper 2-Issues relating to development and management of Social sector/services relating to health,education, Human resources.
Death of 100 children in the month of December at a Government Hospital in Kota highlights the state of the public health system in India.
Public health as a political agenda
- After the incident of a large number of children in such a short span, Rajasthan CM appealed not to politicise the issue.
- But it is high time the issue is in fact politicised.
- The issue of public health needs to be pushed at the top of the political agenda.
- Citizens must hold political parties accountable for the state of healthcare in the country.
- Until the number of deaths crosses a certain threshold the poor state of infrastructure fails to attract the attention of the authorities.
- This hospital came to light like Gorakhpur Medical college where scores of children had died only after media reports of 963 child deaths.
Every single death in a hospital ought to be seen as a failure that needs to be addressed urgently. For that, the government needs to make public health a priority.