From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : India Innovation Index
Mains level : Not Much
Karnataka has bagged the top rank in NITI Aayog’s India Innovation Index, 2022, which determines innovation capacities and ecosystems at the sub-national level.
India Innovation Index (III)
- The release of the second edition of the index—the first was launched in October 2019—demonstrates the Government’s continued commitment to transforming the country into an innovation-driven economy.
- The index attempts to create an extensive framework for the continual evaluation of the innovation environment of all states and UTs in India.
- It intends to perform the following three functions-
- Ranking of states and UTs based on their index scores
- Recognizing opportunities and challenges, and
- Assisting in tailoring governmental policies to foster innovation
- The states have been bifurcated into three categories: major states, northeast and hill states, and union territories/city-states/small states.
- The study examines the innovation ecosystem of Indian states and union territories.
- The aim is to create a holistic tool that can be used by policymakers across the country to identify the challenges to be addressed and strengths to build on when designing policies.
Highlights of the 2022 index
- Karnataka has held this position, under the Major States category, in all three editions of the Index so far.
- It was followed by Telangana, Haryana, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu. Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Bihar and Gujarat were at the bottom of the index.
- In the Index, Manipur secured the lead in the Northeast and Hill States category, while Chandigarh was the top performer in the Union Territories and City States category.