From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : KZ-11
Mains level : Not Much
China’s 19th launch of 2020, the Kuaizhou-11 rocket, failed in its mission.
Try this question from CSP 2014:
Q.Which of the following pair is/are correctly matched?
Spacecraft Purpose 1. Cassini-Huygens Orbiting the Venus and transmitting data to the Earth 2. Messenger Mapping and investigating the Mercury 3. Voyager 1 and 2 Exploring the outer solar system
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
a) 1 only
b) 2 and 3 only
c) 1 and 3 only
d) 1, 2 and 3
- Kuaizhou, meaning “fast ship” in Chinese, was operated by the commercial launch firm Expace and was originally scheduled for 2018 after being developed three years earlier.
- Also known as KZ-11, it had a lift-off mass of 70.8 tonnes, and was designed to launch low-Earth and Sun-synchronous orbit satellites.
- It was carrying two satellites — the first being a remote sensing satellite that would provide data to clients on a commercial basis for forecasting and managing geological disasters.
- It would also provide the information required for natural resource exploration. The second was part of a series of satellites for low-Earth orbit navigation.
- Both satellites were built by Changguang Satellite Co. Ltd., a commercial entity born out of the state-owned firms.