From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : AIM-iCREST
Mains level : Innovation ecosystem in India
NITI Aayog’s Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), has launched AIM iCREST – an Incubator Capabilities enhancement program for a Robust Ecosystem, focused on creating high performing Startups.
Note the following things about AIM-iCREST
1) Meaning of the acronym as it gives the central idea of the initiative
2) Aims and objective
3) Technological partners
- AIM iCREST, as the name suggests, has been designed to enable the incubation ecosystem and act as a growth hack for AIM’s Atal and Established incubators across the country.
- Under the initiative, the AIM’s incubators are set to be upscaled and provided requisite support to foster the incubation enterprise economy that will help them to significantly enhance their performance.
- This will be complemented by providing training to entrepreneurs, through technology-driven processes and platforms.
- The program aims at going beyond incubator capacity building. This is a first of its kind initiative for advancing innovation at scale in India.
- AIM has joined hands with Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Wadhwani Foundation – organizations that can lend credible support and expertise in the entrepreneurship and innovation space.
- These partnerships will provide global expertise and showcase proven best practices to the AIM’s incubator network.
An initiative for incubators
- India needs world-class incubators fostering world-class startups leveraging the tremendous innovation talent of our country.
- For the first time in the Government, the Incubator capacity development program is being extended to the entire portfolio of supported Atal incubators.
- This programme is unique also in its design – it is a combination of interactive practices in the field of incubation; enabling the incubators to support sustainable and successful startups.
Back2Basics: Atal Innovation Mission
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) is NITI Aayog’s flagship initiative to promote a culture of innovation and entrepreneurship in India
- AIM has been established to create and promote an ecosystem of innovation and entrepreneurship in a holistic manner through various initiatives at school, university and industry levels
- The Atal Innovation Mission has thus two core functions:
- Innovation promotion: to provide a platform where innovative ideas are generated.
- Entrepreneurship promotion: Wherein innovators would be supported and mentored to become successful entrepreneurs at Incubation Centres.