From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Various folk arts mentioned
Mains level : Not Much
To protect, preserve & promote various forms of folk art and ancient folk cultures throughout the country including Jharkhand, Bihar and Kerala, the GoI has set up seven Zonal Cultural Centres (ZCCs) with headquarters at Patiala, Nagpur, Udaipur, Prayagraj, Kolkata, Dimapur and Thanjavur.
What is the news?
- Jharkhand is the member state of Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre (EZCC), Kolkata.
- Bihar is the member state of North Central Zone Cultural Centre (NCZCC), Prayagraj and
- Kerala is the member state of South Zone Cultural Centre (SZCC), Thanjavur.
Note the various folk arts mentioned and their respective states:
What are the various folk arts covered?
There is no dedicated scheme to preserve these particular folk art forms-
- Ancient folk cultures being preserved in Jharkhand are Faguwa Nritya, Turi Nritya, Faguwa Nritya, Turi Nritya, Paika Nritya, Hodopathy, Tribal dance (Karam Nritya).
- Ancient folk cultures being preserved in Bihar are Lok Gatha “Reshma Chuharmal” (Begusarai), Lok Gatha, Godana Painting (Madhubani), Lok Natya “Hirni-Birni” (Magadh region) etc.
- Ancient folk cultures being preserved in Kerala are: Poorakali, Malayankettu & Kannerpattu (Kannur), Daffumuttu (Malabar), Kanyarkali (Thrissur) and Arabanaumuttu (Kozhikode).