From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Exercise LAMITIYE
Mains level : Not Much
The 9th Joint Military Exercise LAMITIYE-2022 between the Indian Army and Seychelles Defence Forces (SDF) is being conducted at Seychelles Defence Academy (SDA), Seychelles.
- Lamitiye, which in Creole means friendship, is a biennial training event being conducted in Seychelles since 2001.
- This year, it will feature a range of complex military drills, demonstrations and discussions, officials said.
- The objective of the joint training exercise is to build and promote bilateral military relations in addition to exchanging skills, experiences and good practices between both the armies.
- Both sides will jointly train, plan and execute a series of well-developed tactical drills for neutralization of likely threats that may be encountered in a semi-urban environment.
- The exercise will also witness showcasing of new-generation equipment and technology for conducting joint operations.
Significance of the exercise
- LAMITIYE is crucial and significant in terms of security challenges faced by both nations in the backdrop of the current global situation and growing security concerns in the Indian Ocean region.