From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : LCA Tejas
Mains level : Not Much
The Union Cabinet has approved procurement of 73 LCA Tejas Mk-1A fighter aircraft and 10 LCA Tejas Mk-1 Trainer aircraft for Indian Air Force.
Try this PYQ from CSP 2018:
Q.What is “Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD)”, sometimes seen in the news?
(a) An Israeli radar system
(b) India’s indigenous anti-missile programme
(c) An American anti-missile system
(d) A defence collaboration between Japan and South Korea
- The Tejas is an Indian single-engine, fourth-generation, multirole light fighter aircraft.
- It is designed by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) in collaboration with the Aircraft Research and Design Centre (ARDC) of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- It came from the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) programme, which began in the 1980s to replace India’s ageing MiG-21 fighters.
- The indigenous content of the Tejas was 59.7% by value and 75.5% by a number of lines replaceable units.
Which are the procured variants?
- Light Combat Aircraft Mk-1A variant is an indigenously designed, developed and manufactured state-of-the-art modern 4+ generation fighter aircraft.
- It is the first “Buy (Indian-Indigenously Designed, Developed and Manufactured)” category procurement of combat aircraft.
- Tejas enable IAF to handle repairs or servicing at their base depot so that the turnaround time would get reduced for mission-critical systems.
- This would enable IAF to sustain the fleet more efficiently and effectively due to the availability of repair infrastructure at respective bases.
- It will give a further push to Atmanirbhar Bharat initiative and boost indigenization of defence production and the defence industry in the country.