From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Kisan Rath
Mains level : Supply-chain dynamics of Agricultural produce and its bottlenecks
The Union Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare has launched a mobile application to facilitate farmers & traders in searching for transport vehicles for movement of Agriculture & Horticulture produce.
Initiatives as such are less likely to be asked in the prelims as the name and purpose create no different analogy. But for the sake of information and mains perspective, it is vital to remember ‘Kisan Rath’ while emphasizing on Agricultural marketing reforms.
“Kisan Rath” mobile app
- The app aims to facilitate Farmers and Traders in identifying the right mode of transportation for movement of farm produce ranging from foodgrains, fruits & vegetables, oilseeds, spices, fibre crops etc.
- Primary transportation would include movement from Farm to Mandis, FPO Collection Centre and Warehouses etc.
- Secondary Transportation would include movement from Mandis to Intra-state & Inter-state mandis, Processing units, Railway station, Warehouses and Wholesalers etc.
- It also facilitates traders in transportation of perishable commodities by Reefer (Refrigerated) vehicles.
Utility of the app
- Transportation of Agri produce is a critical and indispensable component of the supply chain.
- Kisan Rath will ensure smooth and seamless supply linkages between farmers and the market.