From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : NDC, TIA
Mains level : India's NDC
NITI Aayog will virtually launch the India Component of the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC)–Transport Initiative for Asia (TIA).
Try this PYQ:
Q.The term Intended Nationally Determined Contribution is sometimes seen in the news in the context of:
(a) Pledge made by the European countries to rehabilitate refuges from the war-affected Middle East.
(b) Plan of nation outlined by the countries of the world to combat climate changes.
(c) Capital contributed by the member countries in the establishment of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.
(d) Plain of action outlined by the countries of the regarding SDGs.
What is NDC-TIA?
- It is a joint programme, supported by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU).
- On behalf of the GoI, NITI Aayog will be the implementing partner.
- It aims to promote a comprehensive approach to decarbonize transport in India, Vietnam, and China.
- It is implemented by a consortium of seven other organisations.
- The programme has a duration of 4 years.
- The India Component will focus on establishing a multi-stakeholder dialogue platform for decarbonizing transport in India, strengthening GHG and transport modelling capacities.
- It would help in financing climate actions in transport, offering policy recommendations on electric vehicle (EV) demand and supply policies.
Why need TIA?
- India has a massive and diverse transport sector that caters to the needs of billion people.
- It has the world’s second-largest road network, which contributes to maximum GHG emissions through all means of transportation.
- With increasing urbanisation, the fleet size i.e. the number of sales of vehicles is increasing rapidly.
- It is projected that the total number of vehicles will be doubled by 2030.