Mains Paper 3: Internal Security | Various Security forces & agencies & their mandate
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Shekatkar Committee recommendations
Mains level: Modernization of Army
- The Committee of Experts (CoE) constituted by the Ministry of Defence under the chairmanship of Lt. Gen (Retd) DB Shekatkar to recommend measures to enhance combat capability and rebalance defence expenditure of the armed forces, submitted its report in December 2016.
- The Report was taken up by the Ministry of Defence to frame key action points and roadmap for implementation.
Recommendations taken up for implementation
- Optimization of Signals Establishments to include Radio Monitoring Companies
- Restructuring of repair echelons (designated rank) in the Army
- Redeployment of Ordnance echelons to include Vehicle Depots, Ordnance Depots and Central Ordnance Depots apart from streamlining inventory control mechanisms.
- Better utilization of Supply and Transportation echelons and Animal Transport units.
- Closure of Military Farms and Army Postal Establishments in peace locations.
- Enhancement in standards for recruitment of clerical staff and drivers in the Army.
- Improving the efficiency of the National Cadet Corps.