From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Shramshakti Portal
Mains level : Welfare of the migrant workers
The Union Minister of Tribal Affairs has launched the “ShramShakti” Portal.
Earlier we had ONORC move, now a repository for migrant workers. Keep a tab on all such updates for the welfare of migrant workers.
- It is a National Migration Support Portal.
- It will record various data including demographic profile, livelihood options, skill mapping, and migration pattern.
- It would effectively help in the smooth formulation of state and national level programs for migrant workers.
Why need such a portal?
- Migrants all over the country had to face after the lockdown was announced due to the pandemic caused by a coronavirus.
- The migration of the tribal population is distress-driven and the migrants are exposed to difficult and unsafe conditions.
- Sometimes they face trafficking or wage harassment issues including many occupational hazards at the workplace.
- The lack of real-time data of migrants was the biggest challenge for governments in formulating effective strategies and policy decisions for the welfare of migrant workers at both source and destination states.
Benefits of the portal
- The tribal migration repository would be able to successfully address the data gap and empower migrant workers who generally migrate in search of employment and income generation.
- It would also help the government for linking the migrant population with the existing Welfare Scheme- under Aatmanirbhar Bharat.
A move for tribals
- Tribal migrant workers often have low awareness about their rights and entitlements and ways to access services and social security in source and destination areas.
- With this, they will be able to demand and access services, rights, and entitlements related to livelihood and social security at their village before migration, as well after migration at destination towns and cities.