From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Tilhan Mission, Oilseed production in India
Mains level : Not Much
The government will launch Tilhan Mission to make the country self-reliant in oilseed production.
Why such mission?
- India is the fourth largest vegetable oil economy in the world after the USA, China and Brazil.
- Today, the oilseeds account for 13% of the cropped area in the country.
- Still, India is the largest importer of palm oil in the world.
Oilseed production in India
- Total Oilseeds production in the country during 2019-20 is estimated at 34.19 million tonnes which is higher by 2.67 million tonnes than the production of 31.52 million tonnes during 2018-19.
- Further, the production of oilseeds during 2019-20 is higher by 4.54 million tonnes than the average oilseeds production.