From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Location of Luxembourg
Mains level : Not Much
Prime Minister has pitched for strengthening ties to further ramp up economic engagement between India and Luxembourg.
Mark the location of Luxembourg. Since it is a landlocked country, there can be a question asking its bordering states.
- Luxembourg is a small European country, landlocked by Belgium, France and Germany.
- It’s mostly rural, with dense Ardennes forest and nature parks in the north, rocky gorges of the Mullerthal region in the east and the Moselle river valley in the southeast.
- Its capital, Luxembourg City, is famed for its fortified medieval old town perched on sheer cliffs
- Luxembourg is one of the most important financial centres globally.
- Several Indian companies have raised capital by issuing Global Depositary Receipts at the Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
- Luxembourg-based investment funds hold substantial banking and asset management market share in portfolio investments in India.
- It is also the third-largest source of Foreign Portfolio Investments (FPI) in India.