From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : RTIS
Mains level : Not Much
The article discusses the partnership between Indian Railways and ISRO for real-time train tracking.
Real Time Train Information System (RTIS) Project
- Indian Railways has signed a MoU with the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) to use satellite-based technology for real-time train tracking.
- The technology will be used to provide real-time information on the exact location and movement of trains across the country.
How does it work?
- The system will use ISRO’s satellite-based GPS technology, called the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS), to track the location of trains.
- The system will also use other advanced technologies, such as satellite imagery and geo-fencing, to provide real-time information on train movements.
Applications of RTIS
- RTIS gives mid-section updates with a periodicity of 30 seconds.
- The Train Control can now track the location and speed of RTIS-enabled locomotives/train more closely, without any manual intervention.
- It allows passengers to get the real-time location or train running status of a train on their smartphone.
- The system will help to improve the efficiency and safety of train operations in India.
- It will provide accurate and real-time information on train movements, which will help to reduce delays and improve scheduling.
- The system will also help to enhance the overall passenger experience by providing real-time information on train status and location.
- Indian Railways plans to use the technology for other applications, such as monitoring the health of trains and their components.
- The partnership with ISRO is part of Indian Railways’ larger digital transformation initiative, which aims to leverage technology to improve the efficiency and safety of train operations.