From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : PC Mahalanobis
Mains level : NA
Statistics Day will be celebrated today on 29th June 2020 to popularize the use of Statistics in everyday life and sensitize the public as to how Statistics helps in shaping and framing policies.
Try this question from CSP 2016:
A recent movie titled The Man Who Knew Infinity is based on the biography of-
(a) S. Ramanujan
(b) S. Chandrasekhar
(c) S. N. Bose
(d) C. V. Raman
Who was P.C. Mahalanobis?
- Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis (29 June 1893 – 28 June 1972) was an Indian scientist and statistician.
- He is best remembered for the Mahalanobis distance, a statistical measure, and for being one of the members of the first Planning Commission of free India.
- He made pioneering studies in anthropometry (the science of obtaining systematic measurements of the human body) in India.
- He founded the Indian Statistical Institute and contributed to the design of large-scale sample surveys.
- For his contributions, Mahalanobis has been considered the father of modern statistics in India.