From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Sukapaika River
Mains level : Rejuvenation of River
Sukapaika, a small river that stopped flowing 70 years ago in Odisha’s Cuttack district is set to be rejuvenated.
- The Suka-paika (the dead) River originated from another river, the Mahanadi, near Ayatpur village.
- It flowed 27.5 km before meeting the Mahanadi again at Bankala.
- In the 1950s, the State’s water resource engineers had in their wisdom closed the Sukapaika river mouth enabling development of the Taladanda Canal System, a major canal of the State.
- This led to the river mostly drying up.
- The process was aggravated by agricultural encroachments that had sprung up on the riverbanks.
UPSC 2023 countdown has begun! Get your personal guidance plan now! (Click here)