From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : CoE-SURVEI
Mains level : Not Much
The Centre of Excellence on Satellite and Unmanned Remote Vehicle Initiative (CoE-SURVEI) has developed an Artificial Intelligence-based software which can automatically detect change on the ground, including unauthorised constructions and encroachments in a time series using satellite imagery.
- The CoE-SURVEI, established by Directorate General Defence Estates at National Institute of Defence Estates Management, leverages the latest technologies in survey viz. satellite imagery, drone imagery and geo-spatial tools for effective land management and urban planning.
- This change detection software has been developed by CoE-SURVEI in collaboration with knowledge partner Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Visakhapatnam.
- Presently, the tool uses National Remote Sensing Centre (NRSC) Cartosat-3 imagery with trained software.
- The changes are detected by analysing satellite imagery of different time periods.
Where is it used?
- The application has been used by CoE in 62 Cantonments and a comparison has been done with the ground position in a recent period.
- The software facilitates better control of unauthorised activities, ensures accountability of field staff and helps in reducing corrupt practices.
- The CoE-SURVEI has also developed tools for vacant land analysis and 3D image analysis of hill cantonments