From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : St. Francis Xaviers and his missions
Mains level : Not Much
The Prime Minister has greeted the people of Goa on the day of the Feast of St. Francis Xavier.
St. Francis Xavier (1506-1552)
- Francis Xavier venerated as Saint Francis Xavier, was a Catholic missionary and saint who was a co-founder of the Society of Jesus.
- He was born in Javier, Kingdom of Navarre (in present-day Spain), he was a companion of Ignatius of Loyola and one of the first seven Jesuits.
- He led an extensive mission into Asia, mainly in the Portuguese Empire of the time and was influential in evangelization work, most notably in India.
- He has asked for a special minister to the king of Portugal whose sole office would be to further Christianity in Goa.
- He also was the first Christian missionary to venture into Japan, Borneo, the Maluku Islands, and other areas.
- In those areas, struggling to learn the local languages and in the face of opposition, he had less success than he had enjoyed in India.
- Xavier was about to extend his missionary preaching to China when he died on Shangchuan Island.
- Known as the “Apostle of the Indies” and “Apostle of Japan”, he is considered to be one of the greatest missionaries since Paul the Apostle.
Try this question from CSP 2021
Q. Consider the following statements:
- Francis Xavier was one of the founding members of the Jesuit Order.
- Francis Xavier died in Goa and a church is dedicated to him there.
- The Feast of St. Francis Xavier is celebrated in Goa each year.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
Post your answers here.