From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Cashew Feni, other GI tags in news
Mains level : NA
The Goa government’s Feni Policy 2021 has paved the way to take the state’s ‘heritage drink’ forward.
Sounds strange but an alcoholic beverage has been GI tagged!
Goa Cashew Feni
- Feni is a spirit produced in Goa, India.
- The two most popular types of feni are cashew feni and toddy palm feni, depending on the original ingredient; however, many other varieties are sold.
- Feni distilleries are usually family-run affairs, and the history of the drink goes back to at least 1585.
- The feni consumed in South Goa is generally of higher alcohol content (43-45% abv) as compared to the feni produced in North Goa.
- Commercially packaged feni is available at 42.8% abv.
- Cashew feni was awarded Geographical Indication registration in 2009 as a speciality alcoholic beverage from Goa.
- It has been described as a colourless, clear liquid that when matured in wooden barrels develops golden brown tint.