From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Neh Pema Shelphu Shrine
Mains level : NA
- The landowner of a disputed area in Arunachal Pradesh has demanded either compensation from Army for a land where Army has built Gurdwara near the Neh Pema Shelphu Shrine.
Neh Pema Shelphu Shrine
- It is a holy shrine located in the Mechukha Valley of Arunachal Pradesh.
- It holds significant religious importance for the local Memba Buddhist community.
- The shrine is believed to have been sanctified by Guru Padmasambhava, a prominent figure in Tibetan Buddhism, during his exploration of the area in the 8th century AD.
- It has been a place of worship and pilgrimage for the Memba people since 1274 AD, according to historical records.
- It attracts hundreds of Buddhists who visit the shrine annually during a pilgrimage in March.
Why in news?
- The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee claimed the shrine associated with Guru Nanak Dev, the first Sikh Guru, in Arunachal Pradesh has been turned into a Buddhist shrine.
Get an IAS/IPS ranker as your personal mentor for UPSC 2024 | Schedule your FREE session and get the Prelims prep Toolkit!