From UPSC perspective, the following things are important :
Prelims level : Data on Indian's living abroad
Mains level : Indian diaspora in Gulf region
There are over 1.36 crore Indian nationals living abroad, according to data tabled by the Ministry of External Affairs in Lok Sabha.
- The highest number of Indians abroad are living in the United Arab Emirates, where the 34,20,000 Indians comprise about one-fourth of all Indians abroad.
- The UAE is followed by Saudi Arabia (25,94,947), the US (12,80,000), Kuwait (10,29,861), Oman (7,79,351), Qatar (7,56,062), Nepal (5,00,000), UK (3,51,000), Singapore (3,50,000) and Bahrain (3,23,292).
- The CPV (Consular, Passport and Visa) division of the ministry is the nodal division that coordinates with all missions / posts abroad regarding transportation of the mortal remains of Indians from abroad to their hometowns in India.
Total remittances recieved
- Citing RBI data, the ministry said that during 2018-2019, $76.4 billion was received as remittances from Indians abroad.
- During 2019-2020 (April-September), $41.9 billion was received.