Mains Paper 2: IR | Important International institutions, agencies & fora, their structure, mandate
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: AIBD
Mains level: Read the attached story
Proud moment for Indian broadcasting
- The Asia-Pacific Institute of Broadcasting Development (AIBD) on elected Fayyaz Sheheryar, Director-General of All India Radio, as its new President.
- This is the first time India has been elected for the position of president of AIBD.
- The elections were held at the 44th annual meeting of AIBD in Colombo.
Asia-Pacific Institute of Broadcasting Development (AIBD)
- The AIBD was established in 1977 under the auspices of UNESCO.
- It is a unique regional inter-governmental organization servicing countries of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP) in the field of electronic media development.
- The International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) are founding organizations of the Institute and they are non-voting members of the General Conference.
- It is hosted by the Government of Malaysia and the secretariat is located in Kuala Lumpur.
- The AIBD is mandated to achieve a vibrant and cohesive electronic media environment in the Asia-Pacific region through policy and resource development.
- The Institute will undertake to:
- Encourage regional dialogue and cooperation in electronic media policy of the Asia Pacific region;
- Provide an Asia-Pacific regional platform for international cooperation in the electronic media development;
- Assist member countries in human resource development in the electronic media, consistent with their development needs;
- Assist member countries with electronic media consultancy.