Mains Paper 3: Economy | Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, and Railways etc.
From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: NWAI
Mains level: The newscard talks about development of shipbuilding industry and waterways thereby reducing load of logistics and transportation from Roadways.
Boosting Domestic Shipbuilding and Navigation
- Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) made public 13 standardized state-of-the-art ship designs suitable for large barge haulage on river Ganga.
- It will help overcome the unique navigation challenges river Ganga throws due to its complex river morphology, hydraulics, acute bends, shifting channels, meanders and current.
- It will serve as an enabler for domestic shipbuilding industry working on inland vessels and open huge possibilities for cargo and passenger movement on National Waterway-1.
Improving Carrying Capacity
- The Government is implementing Jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP) for capacity augmentation of navigation on NW-1 (Varanasi-Haldia stretch) with the technical assistance and investment support of the World Bank.
- The specially designed vessels will navigate on low drafts with high carrying capacity and at the same time, environment friendly.
- It is specialised in low draft and high carrying capacity vessels.
- The new designs will translate into a savings of Rs 30-50 lakhs in the building of a vessel.
- The new designs will obviate the dependence of Indian Ship builders on foreign ship designs for IWT and prove to be a boost to ‘Make in India’ initiative of the Government.
Freely Available Design for all
- Available free on the IWAI website, the designs will remove ambiguity on the class and type of vessels that can sail on river Ganga with efficient maneuverability.
- They will help shipyards build vessels of standardized dimensions and capacity and make them available off the shelf besides developing the ‘sale and purchase’ market for inland vessels.
- The designs will lead to reduced fuel costs and in turn lesser logistics costs.
Details of the Design
- The new designs for various categories of dry and liquid bulk carrier, Ro-Ro vessels, car carrier, container carrier, LNG carrier, Tug Barge flotilla (Table below) have been made by M/s DST, Germany.
- These vessels will sail even in depths of about two metres carrying about 350 cars on a five deck car carrier.
- Some of the designs would enable movement of bulk cargo carriers with capacity of 2500 tonnes at three metres depth.
- Thus it will help removing almost 150 truckloads of pressure from the road or one full rail rake with the plying of just one such vessel.