Mains Paper 2: IR | India and its neighborhood- relations.
From the UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Not Much
Mains level: Indo-Bangladesh relations has become more important due to increased influence of China in the region. Article gives an example of rising Indo-Bangla Relations.
New diplomatic station
- The new station will focus on medical tourism and educational centres
- Both these areas draw thousands of Bangladesh citizens to India every year
- The main focus of the new diplomatic station will be to address the needs of Bangladeshi citizens who visit India for medical and educational purposes
Why is Bangladesh significant for Medical Tourism industry?
- Bangladesh has emerged as the largest overseas user of India’s health services sector during 2015-16
- Reports suggest that out of the 4,60,000 foreign patients treated in Indian hospitals, nearly 165,000 were from Bangladesh