From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labeling) Rules, 2008, Global Adult Tobacco Survey
Mains level: Tobacco menace and ways to curb it
Related Ministry/Department: Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India has notified new sets of specified health warnings for all tobacco product packs.
- The government has amended the Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labeling) Rules, 2008.
- The amended Rules will be applicable w.e.f. 1st September 2018.
- One of the most important key features of the new set of specified health warnings will include telephone Quit-line number “QUIT TODAY CALL 1800-11-2356”.
- This will help in creating awareness among tobacco users, and give them access to counseling services to effect behavior change. It is also likely to lead to an increase in demand for tobacco cessation.
- As per the recent second round of Global Adult Tobacco Survey [GATS -2, 2016-17] conducted in the age group 15 years and above, 61.9% of current cigarette smokers, 53.8% of current bidi smokers and 46.2% of current smokeless tobacco users thought about quitting because of warning label on packets of cigarette, bidi and smokeless tobacco.