The newscard is about improvement in production of cattle and thereby in milk production. Few takeaways are as follows:
Prelims Level: Make note of the programmes that had been launched to improve milk production and their respective aims.
Mains Level: The points may be used for Mains answer
- Milk production increased by 6.27% per annum during last three years
- Following programmes had been launched to boost supply:
- Rashtriya Gokul Mission: aim of development and conservation of indigenous breeds
- National Mission on Bovine Productivity: for enhancing milk production and productivity of bovine population in the country through extension of Artificial Insemination (AI) coverage
- National Dairy Plan-I: World Bank assisted project being implemented in 18 major dairy States with aim of enhancing milk production and productivity to meet demand of milk in the country through strengthening of semen stations; bull production programme (progeny testing and pedigree selection), ration balancing programme etc.
- Breed Improvement Institutes