From UPSC perspective, the following things are important:
Prelims level: SFOORTI App
Mains level: Digitization in railways
- In a major digital initiative to help plan the traffic flows and optimize freight operations Railways has launched a new app
- Smart Freight Operation Optimisation & Real Time Information (SFOORTI) App for Freight Managers which provides features for monitoring and managing freight business using Geographic Information System (GIS) Views and Dashboard
- With this application, movement of freight trains on Geographic Information System (GIS) view can be tracked
- Both passenger and freight trains can be tracked over Zones/Divisions/ Sections in single GIS View.
- Freight business can be monitored
- Comparative Analysis of Zonal/Divisional Traffic
- Analysis of new traffic captured and traffic lost
- This app provides a Bird’s eye view of all Freight Assets in a single window
- Provides end to end Rake movement on Geospatial view
- Expected Traffic at Interchange points to evaluate daily performance can be viewed
- Performance of each zone and divisions with respect to loading and utilization of freight assets can be viewed.
- Sectional performance monitoring for sections, divisions and zones shall help in traffic routing
- Freight terminal and sidings can be better monitored to ensure better turnaround of rakes